Security Prohibited Items List
Passengers are not permitted to carry the following articles into the security restricted area and the critical part of security restricted area:
Guns, firearms and other devices that discharge projectiles — devices capable, or appearing capable, of being used to cause serious injury by discharging a projectile, including:
- firearms of all types, such as pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns;
- toy guns, replicas and imitation firearms capable of being mistaken for real weapons;
- component parts of firearms, excluding telescopic sights;
- compressed air and CO2 guns, such as pistols, pellet guns, rifles and ball bearing guns;
- signal flare pistols and starter pistols;
- bows, cross bows and arrows;
- harpoon guns and spear guns;
- slingshots and catapults.
Stunning devices — devices designed specifically to stun or immobilise, including:
- devices for shocking, such as stun guns, tasers and stun batons;
- animal stunners and animal killers;
- disabling and incapacitating chemicals, gases and sprays, such as mace, pepper sprays, capsicum sprays, tear gas, acid sprays and animal repellent sprays.
Objects with a sharp point or sharp edge — objects with a sharp point or sharp edge capable of being used to cause serious injury, including:
- items designed for chopping, such as axes, hatchets and cleavers;
- ice axes and ice picks;
- razor blades;
- box cutters;
- knives with blades of more than 6 cm; scissors with blades of more than 6 cm as measured from the fulcrum;
- martial arts equipment with a sharp point or sharp edge;
- swords and sabres.
Workmen’s tools — tools capable of being used either to cause serious injury or to threaten the safety of aircraft, including:
- drills and drill bits, including cordless portable power drills;
- tools with a blade or a shaft of more than 6 cm capable of use as a weapon, such as screwdrivers and chisels;
- saws, including cordless portable power saws;
- bolt guns and nail guns.
Blunt instruments — objects capable of being used to cause serious injury when used to hit, including:
- baseball and softball bats;
- clubs and batons, such as billy clubs, blackjacks and night sticks;
- martial arts equipment.
Explosives and incendiary substances and devices — explosives and incendiary substances and devices capable, or appearing capable, of being used to cause serious injury or to pose a threat to the safety of aircraft, including:
- blasting caps;
- detonators and fuses;
- replica or imitation explosive devices;
- mines, grenades and other explosive military stores;
- fireworks and other pyrotechnics;
- smoke-generating canisters and smoke-generating cartridges;
- dynamite, gunpowder and plastic explosives.